The Church Pianist/Keyboardist is a committed Christian willing to help fulfill the mission of Gaston Community Church who provides instrumental music and accompaniment for scheduled worship services and other activities in support of the music ministry of the church. Having a pivotal role in the musical life of the church, this individual is a strong team player with the Pastor, music director, and the praise team.
This year-round position is defined as salary (no overtime pay), part time. Expectation of attendance is for Sunday worship services, rehearsals with the Praise Team, soloists, and instrumentalists; and other special services, including (but not limited to) Christmas and Easter. (These are the services we have had in past: Funerals, Maundy Thursday service, Easter Sunrise Service, Candlelight Communion service on the Sunday evening before Christmas; Annual prayer services on Sunday evenings in January, Women’s Ministry Events. (This list is meant to be illustrative of the types of services.)
1. A disciple of Jesus Christ, committed to growing in faith. A faithful witness and follower of Christ, that seeks to use your personality, talent and spiritual gifts to Glorify Christ in daily living. A servant of God that worships the Lord with heart, mind, soul, and strength.
2. Experience in church worship, with both piano and electronic keyboards/synthesizers. (Understanding and familiarity with blended worship expected).
3. Flexibility to play in blended style worship services (incorporating both traditional and more modern music).
4. Knowledge of the instrument and keyboard ability sufficient to play hymns, modern songs, and accompaniments. Ability to sight-read and improvise is desired.
5. Ability to assist in playing parts for praise team singers in rehearsal.
6. High degree of competency on the piano/keyboard and the ability to accompany groups and individuals.
7. Knowledge of basic music theory and ability to perform simple transpositions.
8. Ability to read chord charts and lead sheets.
9. Willingness to rehearse sufficiently to maintain a high quality of music.
10. Sensitivity and the ability to interact with a variety of people.
11. Ability to take direction and work as a team member.
12. Ability to communicate well in a friendly manner with the church leadership, church Praise Team (band, singers, technical team), and members of the congregation.
13. Willingness to learn how to use electronic synthesizer to enhance the sound of accompaniments, make recorded tracks or loops when needed, and possibly use more than one keyboard in performance if needed.
14. Willingness to use in ear monitors and play along with click tracks if requested.
15. Willingness to rehearse with individual vocalists or instrumentalists outside of scheduled Praise Team practices.
The Pianist is accountable to the Director of Music as head of the Worship and Music Ministry of the church. This individual will need to notify the Director of Music a minimum of three weeks prior to planned absences (preferably as soon as known) to allow for scheduling of a substitute keyboardist.
The applicant will be requested to sign forms allowing Gaston Community Church to perform a background check; all results must be favorable.
1. Support the church’s worship environment through the well-prepared execution of music presented by the Praise Team, Praise Band, and other musicians.
2. Serve as accompanist for the Praise Band and Singers in regular and special rehearsals and performances as assigned.
3. Serve as accompanist for soloists and small groups (vocal and instrumental) when needed.
4. Serve as the only accompaniment when the Praise Band is not playing.
5. Be a part of the Praise Band.
6. Plan, Prepare, and select special music, offertories, etc… when needed.
7. Play for weddings and funerals, as requested (and upon availability), being permitted to receive additional compensation from the parties involved).
8. Maintain and accurate account of the keyboard instrument needs and notify the Director of Music.
9. Assist the Director of Music in finding a substitute for Sundays when not available.
Negotiable, consistent with candidate’s education, experience, and skill level.